Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite - Anticipation

Today marks a historic day in any book nerds calender - the release of the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. If you're anything like me, you've read all the prelim reviews, salivated over the promo video, and pre-ordered (in a round about way if not based in US) the device.
 
 
So what makes this such a significant upgrade on the previous kindles (non-Fire)? For one thing, the built in light pretty much eradicates glare when reading in broad day light and also means midnight book worms don't need to disturb their significant others when reading in bed as the illumination is contained to the pages. The Paperwhite also looks far crisper, speedier, and has a range of tantalising options only a true book enthusiast would love. Xray sounds very cool, but the main new feature is 'time to read' which calculates how long you have until you reach the end of a chapter based on your reading speed. This is a great new feature and one I'm pretty keen to road test.
 
I'm a little surprised that I'm upgrading so soon. I'm not typically an early adopter of new technology but the Paperwhite is just too good to resist. I've had my current kindle (which was my first foray into the ereader world) for a solid 18 months. Having read around 110 books on it in during that time, I knew that pre-ordering the Paperwhite was going to be money well spent. For me, it's all about the experience, I loved my kindle when I first got it (and still do) - the Paperwhite looks even better. Wonder if my read count will increase? I suspect so.
 
Being based outside the US, I'm expecting my pre-order to take a couple of weeks to get to me (still far sooner than the planned 'official' release date outside US) - until then I'll continue to use my trusty keyboard kindle. Expect a full review once my much anticipated package arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment