Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Best Reads of 2012

I read 181 books in 2012 (a record reading year for me), as a result I consumed some very high quality print both in dtb (dead tree book) and kindle format. The below list was hard to compile, mainly due to the volume of reads and partially due to my own rules I've created when compiling such lists.

To the rules: I dont count re-reads (books I've read more than once in past years), I dont generally count 'series' books unless it's completely mind shattering, and I dont allow my list to contain more than 1 book by a given author. My list, my rules.

This 'best of list' is a list of READS from 2012 - books I managed to get through which could've been published years ago, not books solely released in 2012. I know I've missed out on some great new releases that I'll get around to at some stage (current TBR - just shy of 250) so, no doubt those will feature later.

There goes - enough of my babbling, below is my list in no particular order of the books I most enjoyed - the cream of the crop in what was a very satisfying reading year:

*Note – I couldn’t keep it to 10, so below are the top 15 reads of 2012:

Dare Me Edge of Dark Water The Devil All the Time

Wee Rockets Blood on the Mink The Vanity Game

The Platinum Loop What it Was The Robbers

Butch Fatale, Dyke Dick - Double D Double Cross  The Cocktail Waitress No Orchids For Miss Blandish

The Wrong Goodbye Dove Season Battle Royale

6 comments:

  1. All 15 are noir of some for or other right Josh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure are Toby. BATTLE ROYALE is probably the most unique of the bunch.

      Delete
  2. Good to see some books from the Pulp Fiction group making the list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some real gems from that group :-)

      Delete
  3. Your noir books do have more interesting covers than most books. I haven't read a single one of these though the Megan Abbott and George Pelecanos titles are on my TBR shelves and I want to read THE ROBBERS too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me - I'm a sucker for a decent cover! Read HARD REVOLUTION before WHAT IT WAS - it'll make the story that much more enjoyable.

      DARE ME and THE ROBBERS were fantastic reads. I highly recommend them (and all the books on this list for that matter).

      Delete