Monday, December 17, 2012

The Golden Era of Pulps - ReKindled

The Kindle has resurrected a number of seemingly lost or overlooked classics. Publishers like Prologue Books and other indy houses have done a great job at reformatting and releasing these hidden treasures for the avid reader. Below I take a look at three books I read this year that are all 5 STAR reads, and ones that I would probably have never read had it not been for the ease of ebooks.

Benny Muscles In    Room to Swing No Orchids For Miss Blandish

Of the three authors, I'd only heard of Peter Rabe (largely due to the Hardcase Crime reprint of STOP THIS MAN). While a fan of noir/pulp era dimestore novels, I still lacked the complete appreciation of the genre/time largely due to the inaccessibility of the novels in Australia. With the advent of the ebook and the increased availability of these novels, pulp enthusiasts can rejoice and expand upon their library/collection.

The names Chandler, Thompson, Gooids and Woolrich are well known and are distinguished authors of the genre reminiscent of the golden age. While these aforementioned authors are fantastic and their books must haves on any keen readers shelves (physical and electronic), it's authors like Ed Lacy, Peter Rabe, and James Hadley Chase to name but a few that tend to be overlooked in conversation (at least in my circles). Make no mistake, these books (covers above) are all classics and just as important as any works by Chandler and Thompson.

2012 unearthed many great authors for me and showcased a whole new world noir. My 2013 reads are sure to include many more by these great authors.

My reviews of BENNY MUSCLES IN, ROOM TO SWING, and NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH can be found below:

No comments:

Post a Comment