Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Judging a book by its cover (sci-fi/PI pulp)

The Flaxen Femme FataleWhile it's true, the content is what makes a good book. However, in order to get lost in whatever adventure a novel promises, the reader must be first attracted to that particular book in the first place.

For avid readers, following authors/publisher/sub genres etc. makes it easy to find new books to read. The elephant in the room, of course, is the book cover. For authors/titles unknown to me, picking up something off the shelf (yes I do still visit physical stores) is largely reliant upon the cover.

As a somewhat of a pulp enthusiast, I'll always paw over a book with a cover depicting a hard man with a gun casting a shadow over a fallen figure in some dark alley or a pin-up dame with hands raised showing a face of fear, all in dime store quality artwork.

So, this leads me to some recent (and not so recent) finds, one's I wouldn't have given a second thought had it not been for the cover.

First up is THE SAPPHIRE SIRENS by John Kakour. His 'world's last freelance PI' series borders on dark humour, satire, sci-fi, and the hardboiled. While I haven't read any books in the series, this latest acquisition sits temping me at the top of my TBR. Another PI focused book I picked up is THE AUTOMATIC DETECTIVE by A. Lee Martinez - a perfect blend of hardboiled and sci-fi.

The theme here is mixing up the genres to entice new readers, both of these books have succeeded (with me at least). Enjoy the covers of these books below and be sure to check them out for a different take on private detective fiction:

The Automatic Detective The Sapphire Sirens

The Automatic Detective: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1265289.The_Automatic_Detective

The Sapphire Sirens: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6436987-the-sapphire-sirens


No comments:

Post a Comment