Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Most Anticipated Books of 2014

With 2014 still relatively fresh I thought I’d turn my bookish brain towards some of the books that I’m excited about that are scheduled for publication this year. I’ve no doubt I’ve left off many great books but the below are some that spring to mind immediately. I’ve sourced cover images where possible.

The Girl With All The GiftsTHE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS - M. R. Carey. Thanks to Boomerang Books (Aus Online Bookseller), I won an advance copy of this intriguing book. I’m eagerly anticipating the package in the mail. Will be an instant read.

The Burning DarkTHE BURNING DARK - Adam Christopher. HANG WIRE (2014, Angry Robot) was fantastic and the premise of THE BURNNING DARK looks to deliver more quality fiction from Adam Christopher.

DEPTH CHARGING ICE PLANET GOTH - Andrez Bergen. Andrez Bergen is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. His WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CAPES OF HEROPA appeared in my 2013 top 10 books published for the year and I may have already had a sneaky peak at his new one due mid-year.

The Fever: A NovelTHE FEVER - Megan Abbott. It’s always a moment to celebrate when Megan Abbott publishes a new book. Instant 5-star reads all the time. One of my favourite authors.

CITY OF MIRROR’S – Justin Cronin. The last instalment and follow-up to THE PASSAGE and THE TWELVE. Feels like I’ve been waiting a long time for this.

HERE COMES THE DOGS – Omar Musa. This Australia hip-hop verse novel due out from Penguin is appearing of loads of most anticipated lists. I’m curious and will definitely be looking for it.

STALK ME – Richard Parker. Last year Exhibit A published SCARE ME and wow, did it pack a punch. If STALK ME is half as good then Parker is onto another winner.

REPENTANCE CREEK – Leigh Redhead. I’ve been waiting for so long for another full length by Aussie crime writer Leigh Redhead. Her website lists she’s currently working on REPENTANCE CREEK so we may not see it this year. It’s on the list in hope of a 2014 publication.

The Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt #10)
THE SEAL OF THE WORM (Shadows of the Apt #10) - Adrian Tchaikovsky. Shadows of the Apt is my favourite fantasy series so the publication of any book set in this unique and utterly enthralling world is a big deal.
 
PERFIDIA – James Ellroy. Much talked about novel. Ellroy is an acquired taste and I can’t get enough.

The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)

THE WINDS OF WINTER (A Song of Fire and Ice #6) - George R.R. Martin. Like REPENTANCE CREEK (above), may not (in George RR Martin’s case– highly unlikely) be published in 2014. Is on the list out of hope more-so than expectation.

THE BROKEN EYE (Lightbringer #3) - Brent Weeks. After the events of THE BLINDING KNIFE (#2), THE BROKEN EYE cant get into my hands quick enough. I loved Brent Weeks’ Dark Angel trilogy (and novella) and the Lightbringer series is no different. Quality.

2 comments:

  1. The Fever looks amazing and Megan Abbott is so talented. This is definitely going in my to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete