Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sequels wanted – Books that deserve another instalment

Below is a list (in no particular order) of some books that I've read which, from an avid reader perspective, warrant/demand additional instalments. The characters in these books are addictive, the world's are unique, the writing - exceptional. While these books share a similar criminal element what binds them together for this list is one simple thing - they did their job; they connected with the reader (me) and have remained on my mind long after turning that last page. So here they are:

The Automatic Detective
THE AUTOMATIC DETECTIVE by A. Lee Martinez
Why? Spoiler alert – Martinez instils his automatic detective Mack as a certified PI at the end of this book. Meaning, THE AUTOMATIC DETECTIVE reads as an origin story for better things to come from this mash up of sci fi and hardboiled. Unfortunately Martinez has publicly stated a sequel is unlikely. Let’s hope he changes his mind. You can read my review HERE.
Gun Machine
GUN MACHINE by Warren Ellis
Why? Warren Ellis has written one of the best police procedurals I’ve had the pleasure of reading. Simply put, I just want more. You can read my review HERE.
Blood Crimes: Book One
BLOOD CRIMES by Dave Zeltserman
Why? Intended to be part of a ebook exclusive series, BLOOD CRIMES halted at the start line before getting into second gear. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish and hope that Dave Zeltserman picks this idea up once again for a second go round. You can read my review HERE.
Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat
TOBACCO STAINED MOUNTAIN GOAT by Andrez Bergen
Why? Well, there sort of has been a sequel, to an extent with the anthology THE TOBACCO STAINED SKY building upon this uniquely diverse and captivating dystopian Melbourne crafted from the gifted mind of Andrez Bergen. After finishing the TOBACCO STAINED MOUNTAIN GOAT I couldn’t help but want more. You can read my review HERE.
9737151
THE EDINBURGH DEAD by Brian Ruckley
Why? The setting, time, and characters are utterly enthralling. Ruckley’s venture into the dark criminal underworld of 1828 paid dividends and his protagonist was perfect for the ensuing but of policing. You can read my review HERE.
Letters From a Murderer
LETTERS FROM A MURDERER by John Matthews
Why? Jameson and Argenti are a unique couple that take on the Ripper case head on across continent. From London to New York the lore of the Ripper is expanded, his deadly reach sweeping fear into the hearts of men and women alike like never before. I would love to see this pairing taking on other equally dark cases circa 1890’s. You can read my review HERE.
Hard Bite
HARD BITE by Anonymous 9
Why? I love it. Sid is incredibly cool and the pulpy protagonist is not your typical portrait of a serial killer. Plain and simple Anonymous 9 is a damn fine writer and I want more. You can read my review HERE.
Butch Fatale, Dyke Dick - Double D Double Cross
BUTCH FATALE, DYKE DICK – DOUBLE D DOUBLE CROSS by Christa Faust
Why? Probably best known for her Angel Dare series published by Hardcase Crime (which is also very cool), Christa Faust’s detective book is sooo good. Butch Fatale reads like a cross between a Carter Brown pulp and Mickey Spillane hardboiled detective story. I know there was a kickstarter some time ago for a second Butch Fatale novel, here’s hoping we see more of this character from Faust in the near future. You can read my review HERE.

5 comments:

  1. BUTCH FATALE was a total blast to read.

    A sequel can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I love the old school pulp feel of it.

      Delete
  2. HARD BITE definitely needs a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure does, I believe one is in the works so fingers crossed for some news about a possible publication date soon-ish!

      Delete
  3. Josh, I honored to be on your list. THANK YOU. Blasted Heath has the ms of my sequel BITE HARDER. I'm waiting to hear the pub date. You'll be the first to know….
    Anonymous-9

    ReplyDelete