Monday, July 21, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

 
This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. In order to get some consistency to my posting I thought I’d jump on board this great idea. As a self-proclaimed bookaholic, I love talking about my books and finding out what others are reading. Having been a long time reader of multiple blogs where the ‘It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?’ post is prevalent, I thought it a natural progression I’d add to the mix. Here are my intended picks for this coming week, including what I’ve got on-the-go today:
 
Mothers Who MurderMOTHERS WHO MURDER by Dr Xanthe Mallett (featured in last weeks post, however I didn't get a chance to read it as I was rearranging my personal library)

All of these women are notorious, but are all of them deadly? Child murder: A social taboo and one of the most abhorrent acts most of us can imagine. Meet the women found guilty of murdering their own children. They represent some of the most hated women in Australia. The infamous list includes psychologically damaged, sometimes deranged, women on the edge. But, as we will see, accused doesn't always mean guilty. Among the cases covered is that of Kathleen Folbigg, accused and found guilty of killing four of her children, even with a lack of any forensic evidence proving her guilt; Rachel Pfitzner, who strangled her 2-year-old son and dumped his body in a duck pond; as well as Keli Lane, found guilty of child murder though no body has ever been found.Dr Mallett goes back to the beginning of each case; death's ground zero. That might be the accused's childhood, were they abused? Or was their motivation greed, or fear of losing a partner? Were they just simply evil? Or did the media paint them as such, against the evidence and leading to a travesty of justice.Each case will be re-opened, the alternative suspects assessed, the possible motives reviewed. Informed by her background as a forensic scientist, Xanthe offers insight into aspects of the cases that may not have been explored previously. Taking you on her journey through the facts, and reaching her own conclusion as to whether she believe the evidence points to the women's guilt.Hear their stories.
 
Stinking RichSTINKING RICH by Rob Brunet (review copy provided by the author)

Danny Grant figures he's hit the big time when he lands a job growing pot for a backwoods biker gang. The Libidos are picky about their hires and prone to radical pruning when members go rogue. Members like Perko Ratwick, the aspiring Road Captain who stretched club rules to hire young Danny, putting his own patch-never mind his life-on the line if the punk screws up. What could possibly go wrong with a high school dropout left unattended in a barn full of high-grade marijuana? Plenty, it turns out. In a world where indoor plumbing's optional and each local wacko is more twisted than the last, drug money draws reprobates like moths to a lantern. From loveable losers to gnarly thugs and law-and-order wannabes, every last one of them has an angle-their best shot at being stinking rich. But Perko's got warped ideas about right, wrong, and retribution, and the gang's not far behind.
 
 
One Hundred Years of VicissitudeOne Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (review copy provided by the author)
 
"First up, a disclaimer. I suspect I am a dead man. I have meagre proof, no framed‐ up certification, nothing to toss in a court of law as evidence of a rapid departure from the mortal coil. I recall a gun was involved, pressed up against my skull, and a loud explosion followed."

Thus begins our narrator in a purgatorial tour through twentieth-century Japanese history, with a ghostly geisha who has seen it all as a guide and a corrupt millionaire as her reluctant companion.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you have an interesting assortment of books coming up. I hope you enjoy them. Come see my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I went for a mix bag this week :-)

      Delete
  2. Some interesting looking books coming up. I hope you enjoy them!

    Stormi
    http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-75/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some intense reads here. They look really interesting but I don't think I would be able to read the Mothers who Murder book. Enjoy your week! I also followed via GFC.
    Laura
    It's Monday, What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Laura, MOTHERS WHO MURDER is a really good book, as a father of three young sons I wasn't sure how i'd go reading it but the author writes so well it was hard to out down.

      Delete
  4. I love your header. Brings back childhood reading memories.

    One Hundred Years of Vicissitude looks quite good.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I'm a sucker for those pulp covers!

      I love all the books I've read by Andrez Bergen, I'm sure this wont be any different.

      Delete
  5. Stinky Rich sounds like a fun mix of crime and comedy. I hope you enjoy it

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What attracted me to it was the Carl Hiaasen vibe. Im just about to start it...

      Delete