Monday, July 14, 2014

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?



This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. In order to get some consistency to my posting I thought I’d jump on board this great idea. As a self-proclaimed bookaholic, I love talking about my books and finding out what others are reading. Having been a long time reader of multiple blogs where the ‘It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?’ post is prevalent, I thought it a natural progression I’d add to the mix. Here are my intended picks for this coming week, including what I’ve got on-the-go today:

Cop TownCOP TOWN by Karin Slaughter (review copy provided by Random House)
Atlanta, 1974: As a brutal murder and a furious manhunt rock the city’s police department, Kate Murphy wonders if her first day on the job will also be her last. She’s determined to defy her privileged background by making her own way—wearing a badge and carrying a gun. But for a beautiful young woman, life will be anything but easy in the macho world of the Atlanta PD, where even the female cops have little mercy for rookies. It’s also the worst day possible to start given that a beloved cop has been gunned down, his brothers in blue are out for blood, and the city is on the edge of war.

Kate isn’t the only woman on the force who’s feeling the heat. Maggie Lawson followed her uncle and brother into the ranks to prove her worth in their cynical eyes. When she and Kate, her new partner, are pushed out of the citywide search for a cop killer, their fury, pain, and pride finally reach the boiling point. With a killer poised to strike again, they will pursue their own line of investigation, risking everything as they venture into the city’s darkest heart.


The Power of the DogPOWER OF THE DOG by Don Winslow (a few people I follow on twitter have recently re-read this, I loved it a few years ago and feel the timing is right for a second go-round).
Drug lord Miguel Angel Barrera is head of the Mexican drug cartel, responsible for millions of dollars worth of cocaine traffic into the US and the torture of those who stand in its way. His nephew, Adan Barrera, is his worthy successor.

Art Keller is a US government operative, so determined to obtain revenge for a murdered colleague that his pursuit of the cartel veers dangerously towards an obsession outside the law. This is a world characterised by its brutality, yet all Winslow's incredibly varied cast - including a high class prostitute, an Irish hitman and a charismatic Catholic priest - are all in their own ways searching for salvation.
Mothers Who MurderMOTHERS WHO MURDER by Dr. Xanthe Mallett (review copy provided by Random House)
All of these women are notorious, but are all of them deadly?Child murder: A social taboo and one of the most abhorrent acts most of us can imagine. Meet the women found guilty of murdering their own children. They represent some of the most hated women in Australia. The infamous list includes psychologically damaged, sometimes deranged, women on the edge. But, as we will see, accused doesn't always mean guilty. Among the cases covered is that of Kathleen Folbigg, accused and found guilty of killing four of her children, even with a lack of any forensic evidence proving her guilt; Rachel Pfitzner, who strangled her 2-year-old son and dumped his body in a duck pond; as well as Keli Lane, found guilty of child murder though no body has ever been found.Dr Mallett goes back to the beginning of each case; death's ground zero. That might be the accused's childhood, were they abused? Or was their motivation greed, or fear of losing a partner? Were they just simply evil? Or did the media paint them as such, against the evidence and leading to a travesty of justice.Each case will be re-opened, the alternative suspects assessed, the possible motives reviewed. Informed by her background as a forensic scientist, Xanthe offers insight into aspects of the cases that may not have been explored previously. Taking you on her journey through the facts, and reaching her own conclusion as to whether she believe the evidence points to the women's guilt.Hear their stories.

14 comments:

  1. Cop Town is proving very popular, I wish I had the time to read it.

    Have a great reading week,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelleyrae, I'm enjoying the darker aspects of Cop Town and am pleased Karin Slaughter decided to write a stand alone. Pretty good so far.

      Delete
  2. Another blogger that loves the Thirller genre, WELCOME

    I read my first Karin Slaughter the other week, still need to review Blindsighted. I am going to read Cop Town and her other newer ones.

    Mothers who Murder looks amazing.

    New follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marce, thanks!

      I'm looking forward to getting to Mothers Who Murder once I finish Cop Town and the reread of The Power of The Dog.

      Delete
  3. Cop Town sounds good. I have been seeing it around lots lately. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Just had a look at your post - you're going to be busy this week! In a good way :-)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter ever I think, which reminds me I haven't read a good thriller in ages! 'Mothers Who Murder' also sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing :)
    My Monday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Juli, I haven't read Karin Slaughter in a while having given up some time ago on her ongoing series - this stand alone is pretty good though.

      Delete
  5. Cop Town sounds very good. I don't think I could personally handle reading Mothers who Murder, but it does sound like an interesting topic. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, same to you :-)

      As a dad, I didn't think I was going to be able to read this one either, however after dabbling in it a little I think it's going to be good despite the macabre subject matter.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the meme, looks like you have a good week ahead of you. Don Winslow is always great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael - actually it was your site that got me thinking of participating!

      Delete
  7. All three of these books look fascinating. I've never heard of The Power of the Dog -- I am intrigued. I am also curious about Mothers Who Murder, but I don't know whether I could handle the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Monday meme, Yay another Aussie blogger ... waving hi from Brisbane. I love suspense/thrillers, not so much mysteries. I like Karin Slaughter's writing and Mother's Who Murder sounds intense ... and fascinating (without me sounding psycho lol) Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete