Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: THE MIRROR EMPIRE by Kameron Hurley

The Mirror EmpireTHE MIRROR EMPIRE is a complex,  conceptually brilliant, epic fantasy that builds worlds upon worlds and stretches the thin fabric of reality opening doors to endless possibilities. The theory of alternate realities is explored and executed in an imaginative and captivating fashion.
 
Using mirrors as a method of transporting people between these realms has its consequences as these realities aren't simply new places with new people,  rather the same kind of land with the same people in duplicate, and triplicate. In order to live in a world other than the one a character originates in, the doppelganger must be killed, this violent element adds a little something to the cross world transference the characters of THE MIRROR EMPIRE experience.  
 
Whilst I enjoyed some of the high end fantasy concepts author Kameron Hurley transposes to print in THE MIRROR EMPIRE,  the breadth and scope of cast became confusing as the novel progressed with the the plot taking form through multiple points of view. I also found the unique names of places and people difficult to pinpoint who was who and what was what at times - though not often.
 
There is a lot to take in and after finishing THE MIRROR EMPIRE,  I get the feeling Kameron Hurley is just getting started with this world and group of characters.
 
I read this as an ebook from NetGalley and, as a result,  found it difficult to flick back through the book to reread and familiarize myself with some of the key characters which I tend to do with physical epic fantasy novels (more a fault of my habit than the book). I think THE MIRROR EMPIRE would also benefit by having a map and character listing defining their allegiance and place setting.

2 comments:

  1. I bought the retail ebook, which does have a glossary and map. I'm impressed with those who read the ARC, which had neither. But the glossary and map weren't necessarily that helpful. I had to turn to the glossary too often; I eventually gave up. When I did try to look up a city/town on the map, sometimes it wouldn't be on there. Eventually I remembered enough to just read and enjoy the book, but it was in some ways a feat of strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes fantasy novels need to have maps/character cast and a glossary easily accessible because so much happens. Good to hear the retail ebook address this to an extent..

      Delete