Monday, August 4, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. In order to get some consistency to my posting I thought I’d jump on board this great idea. As a self-proclaimed bookaholic, I love talking about my books and finding out what others are reading. Having been a long time reader of multiple blogs where the ‘It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?’ post is prevalent, I thought it a natural progression I’d add to the mix.

Last week I was able to get through the following books (click to read the review):

- TWISTED CITY by Jason Starr
- A FIRING OFFENSE by George Pelecanos
- NOBODY'S ANGEL by Jack Clark
- MISDIRECTION by Austin Williams

This week I'm changing things up and going for more sci-fi/horror reads.

Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)Here are my intended picks for this coming week, including what I’ve got on-the-go today:

DARK FORCE RISING by Timothy Zahn (Vol.2 of the Thrawn Trilogy)

The dying Empire's most cunning and ruthless warlord--Grand Admiral Thrawn--has taken command of the remnants of the Imperial fleet and launched a massive campaign aimed at the New Republic's destruction. Meanwhile, Han and Lando Calrissian race against time to find proof of treason inside the highest Republican Council--only to discover instead a ghostly fleet of warships that could bring doom to their friends and victory to their enemies.

Yet most dangerous of all is a new Dark Jedi, risen from the ashes of a shrouded past, consumed by bitterness...and scheming to corrupt Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side.


Battle Lines (Department 19, #3)BATTLE LINES by Will Hill (Department 13 #3)

Secret government unit Department 19 is recovering from evil vampire Valeri Rusmanov's deadly attack on their base. The Department’s newest member, teenage operator Jamie Carpenter, is tasked with training up a new squad, as his friends and colleagues desperately search for ways to try to stop what is coming.

The timing couldn’t be worse for a coordinated, global attack on a number of maximum security prisons and hospitals—with the already-dangerous inmates now on the loose and turned into vampires. One of the escapees has a deep connection to one of the darkest moments in the history of Department 19 and embarks on a quest that threatens to expose the existence of vampires to the public. And with each day that passes, the regenerated Dracula gets stronger, bringing Zero Hour closer.

13 comments:

  1. I've read the Spero Lucas books by Pelecanos, enjoyed them. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read THE CUT and thought it was good. Am yet to check out THE DOUBLE but hope to soon-ish.

      Delete
  2. The last sci-fi I've read was probably Jumper by Steven Gould because I enjoyed the movie they made based of it. I was surprised by how much they changed it but it was also good- better, in fact, as is usually the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been meaning to read that (I too liked the movie). Another to add to the list :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't recognize the titles. Seems like you enjoyed them. Have another fun week with your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, something a little different for me this week.

      Delete
  4. These are all new to me. I like science fiction but really try to avoid horror. I hope you enjoy the books you chose. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, wow - that's some list you have! THE VAULT OF DREAMERS looks interesting. Have a good week :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the cover art on Battle Lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's what initially attracted me to the series.

      Delete
  6. I've been dipping into Star Wars books lately, and they're a great, fun read. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the third Star Wars book I've read (HEIR TO THE EMPIRE and other I forget the name of (it was about 8yrs ago)), however I hope to read more.

      Delete