Monday, August 25, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. In order to get some consistency to my posting I thought I’d jump on board this great idea. As a self-proclaimed bookaholic, I love talking about my books and finding out what others are reading. Having been a long time reader of multiple blogs where the ‘It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?’ post is prevalent, I thought it a natural progression I’d add to the mix.

Last week I got through more books than I had intended (see my last Friday Finds post). My two latest reviews are:

- THE BROOKLYN RULES by Reed Farrel Coleman

- SEE YOU TOMORROW by Tore Renberg

I've just about finished QUICK by Steve Worland and will post a review soon.

Here are my intended picks for this coming week, including what I’ve got on-the-go today:

Broken MonstersBROKEN MONSTERS by Lauren Beukes

In the city that’s become a symbol for the death of the American dream, a nightmare killer is unravelling reality. The new thriller from Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls.

Broken city, broken dreams.

In Detroit, violent death – along with foreclosure and despair – is a regular occurrence. But the part-human, part-animal corpses that have started appearing are more disturbing than anything Detective Gabriella Versado has ever seen.

As Gabriella works the case, her teenage daughter Layla embarks on a secret crime-fighting project of her own – hunting down online paedophiles – but it all goes horribly wrong…

TK has learned how to make being homeless work for him and his friends, but something evil is threatening the fragile world he’s constructed on the streets…

Ambitious blogger Jonno is getting desperate. The big four-oh isn’t that far away, and he’s still struggling to make his mark. But then he stumbles across some unusual and macabre art, which might just be the break he needs to go viral…

Mr. MercedesMR. MERCEDES by Stephen King (I've read mixed reviews about this but am looking forward to reading it and forming my own opinion)

A retired cop and a couple of unlikely allies race against time to stop a psycho-loner intent on blowing up thousands...

Stephen King is on a roll, this time with the heart-pounding suspense that he does best. A cat-and-mouse suspense thriller featuring a retired homicide detective who's haunted by the few cases he left open, and by one in particular - the pre-dawn slaughter of eight people among hundreds gathered in line for the opening of a jobs fair when the economy was guttering out.

Without warning, a lone driver ploughed through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes. The plot is kicked into gear when Bill Hodges receives a letter in the mail, from a man claiming to be the perpetrator. He taunts Hodges with the notion that he will strike again. Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing that from happening.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. And he's preparing to kill again.

Only Hodges, with a couple of misfit friends, can apprehend the killer in this high-stakes race against time. Because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim hundreds, even thousands.

 

The WraithTHE WRAITH by Joe Hill (graphic novel prequel to NOS4A2 - couldn't resist getting hold of this during a recent sale on Comixology)

Collects Welcome to Chirstmasland #1- 7 comics published by IDW.

Joe Hill's New York Times Bestselling novel, NOS4A2, introduced readers to the terrifying funhouse world of Christmasland, and the mad man who rules there: Charlie Talent Manx III. Now, in an original new comic mini-series, Hill throws wide the candy cane gates to tell a standalone story that is at once both accessible to new readers, and sure to delight fans of the book.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are enjoying Quick, I did . I really want to read Mr Mercedes.

    Have a great week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to seeing what you think of these books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a slow reading week for me - nearly done with MR MERCEDES. I like it but don't love it... The little I've read of THE WRAITH is excellent.

      Delete