Monday, November 24, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. In order to get some consistency to my posting I thought I’d jump on board this great idea. As a self-proclaimed bookaholic, I love talking about my books and finding out what others are reading. Having been a long time reader of multiple blogs where the ‘It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?’ post is prevalent, I thought it a natural progression I’d add to the mix.

Last week I posted the following reviews:

ROBIN WILLIAMS: WHEN THE LAUGHTER STOPS by Emily Herbert

PROHIBITED ZONE by Alastair Sarre

As I'm still listening to THE COLD COLD GROUND by Adrian McKinty (which is fantastic by the way), I'm trying to avoid crime novels as to not confuse the print books with audio.

Headstone CityHEADSTONE CITY by Tom Piccirilli

The night Johnny Danetello drove a dying girl through the streets of Brooklyn in his cab, he was trying to save her life. Instead he ran down a cop and lost her and his freedom. Every day in prison, Johnny knew that Angie Monticelli’s family blamed him for her death, and that going home would be suicide. But Johnny has unfinished business with his former friend turned mob boss, Vinny Monticelli.

Now Johnny has returned to converse with the doomed and the dead–and wait for Vinny to make his move. Survivors of a long-ago freak accident, the two men share access to alternate realities no one else can know–and to a past and present that will all become the same in a city only one of them can leave alive.


SeveranceSEVERANCE by Chris Bucholz
After 240 years traveling toward Tau Prius and a new planet to colonize, the inhabitants of the generation ship Argos are bored and aimless. They join groups such as the Markers and the Breeders, have costumed orgies, and test the limits of drugs, alcohol, and pain just to pass the time.

To Laura Stein, they’re morons and, other than a small handful of friends, she’d rather spend time with her meat plant than with any of her fellow passengers. But when one of her subordinates is murdered while out on a job, Laura takes it as her responsibility to find out what happened. She expects to find a personal grudge or a drug deal gone wrong, but instead stumbles upon a conspiracy that could tear the ship in two.

Labelled a terrorist and used as a pawn in the ultimate struggle for control, Laura, with help from her friend Bruce and clues left by a geneticist from the past, digs deep into the inner working of the ship, shimmying her way through ductwork, rallying the begrudged passengers to rise up and fight, and peeking into an unsavory past to learn the truth and save their future.


A Confusion of PrincesA CONFUSION OF PRINCES by Garth Nix

I have died three times, and three times been reborn, though I am not yet twenty in the old earth years by which it is still the fashion to measure time. This is the story of my three deaths, and my life between. My name is Khemri.

Taken from his parents as a child and equipped with biological and technological improvements, Khemri is now an enhanced human being, trained and prepared for the glory of becoming a Prince of the Empire. Not to mention the ultimate glory: should he die, and be deemed worthy, he will be reborn...Which is just as well, because no sooner has Prince Khemri graduated to full Princehood than he learns the terrible truth behind the Empire: there are ten million princes, and all of them want each other dead.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about the McKinty. He certainly has some good momentum going in the Australian book industry since winning the Ned Kelly Award this year.

    He has a great blog too if you're interested in checking that out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE COLD COLD GROUND is fantastic! I've really enjoyed everything I've read from him so far.

      Delete
  2. A Confusion of Princes sounds interesting, I've been meaning to read something by Nix

    Read on!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd suggest starting with SABRIEL - the first book in the OLD KINGDOM series. This is a different series, I'm keen to read it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sabriel is AWESOME Garth Nix actually just published the conclusion to that series! You have some great titles on here and I hope you enjoy them!

    I hope to see you around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete