Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bookish Thoughts: On Reading A Comic A Day

Readers of this blog will have noticed that my posting hasn't been as regular as it has been previously these past few weeks. I'm finding that with family, work and other commitments that my cherished reading time has drastically reduced - the flow on effect of that - my blogging. 

There's not much I can do about the blogging side of things (though I do hope to post more regularly) but there is a sneaky way I can get my reading fix without delving into a novel/novella. 

Comics (Bloodshot Reborn #1 cover D pictured)

Comics are the perfect way for book nerds like myself to get a quick fix when time-poor. The added attraction is they form part of a much larger narrative when written within the almost limitless boundaries of a shared universe - something that really appeals to me. 

So what comics to read and when to fit them in? 

I like superheroes, in part due to the recent movie fad but largely because of an indie publisher that was once big in the nineties which has made a successful comeback these past couple of years - Valiant. Their titles include Bloodshot (the first 13 issues were written by Duane Swierczynski, Leff Lemire writes the current series Bloodshot Reborn), Harbinger (written by Josh Dysart - one of the BEST writers in comics) and Rai (written by Matt Kindt) among others. 

I'm at the stage where I'll pretty much read anything Valiant publishes - their story first mission statement is noticeable in the quality and depth to their stories; the evolution of their characters reads organic and natural. Their stable or artists is phenomenal too with Robert Gill, Cary Nord, Clayton Crain to name a few.

I'm reading a comic a day either first thing in the morning before heading off to work or at night before bed - so far this seems to be working for me.

Here are some of my recent reads:

    

2 comments:

  1. Have you read 'Velvet' and 'The Fade Out' yet, J?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love The Fade Out though the sporatic monthly release cycle (regular delay) makes it hard to maintain the enthusiasm.

      Haven't checked out Velvet yet but have heard good things.

      Delete