Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Bookish Thoughts: On ReReading

Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)I love returning to books I've read - oddly enough, even those I didn't particularly enjoy the first time around. There is method to this madness though. I've found over my reading journey that my tastes have changed or evolved if you will. Initially I read mainstream popular crime fiction with a bit of Stephen King or Dean Koontz splattered in between for variety; basically all that was accessible to me at that time. 

LolitaNow, my reading is much more widespread and eclectic (thanks to the internet presence of authors, publishers, bloggers, and social media book sites like Goodreads) - and in recent times I've turned back to mainstream crime, in part due to the lovely arc's I get from publishers but also to revisit some books that I recall enjoying in that genre. GONE by Lisa Gardner being a prime example. 

As I mentioned, it's not just those favorites or go-to-good-reads I reread. I do like to revisit books that didn't connect with me for whatever reason the first time in order to give them another shot - this generally coincides with my reader journey and my tastes evolving over time. LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov is a prime example of this. I hated the book; couldn't stomach the topical natural and struggled with the authors' style, yet second time 'round LOLITA ended up being one of my favorite reads of that particular year (2014). 

Cold CallerThis year I'm rereading a couple of series I'm particularly fond of in the Jack Taylor books by Ken Bruen and the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz as well as the odd book thrown in just because...like COLD CALLER by Jason Starr which I recently read and liked even more the second time around bumping my Goodreads star rating from 4 to 5. 

Rereading is an essential and enjoyable part of my reading journey - this year I've gone back to 10 of my books and plan to continue rereading at least 1 a month if not more in among the bevy of books that'll be first time reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment