It was very hard to separate a number of books so I'm rolling with both Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, which I listened to, and Ten Dead Comedians by Fred Van Lente. Both of these books got me at just the right time and I enjoyed the hell out of them.
I read Ten Dead Comedians after finishing a disturbing (and very well written) true crime The Spider and the Fly by Claudia Rowe and was in need of something more lighthearted and fun. Fred Van Lente did a great job with this book and I highly recommend it for readers who are in need of something a little different and less macabre in their crime fiction (don't worry, there's still a decent amount of murder and mystery going on here). You can read my review HERE on Goodreads.
I was late to party in reading (listening to) Ready Player One but had heard so many good things about it, thankfully the book lived up to, and then surpassed my expectations. A great read that will no doubt end up in my 'top 10 list' at years' end. You can read the review HERE.
Other books I rated 5 stars in June in no particular order:
- Chomp by Carl Hiaasen (audiobook) - a send-up of the reality television Man verses Wild genre
- Eagle and Empire by Alan Smale - the last book in the Hesperian Trilogy
- The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham - a new crime thriller that blew me away (also features in my best of new crime fiction midyear report blog post)
A couple of rereads also featured
- Headstone by Ken Bruen - the 9th book in the Jack Taylor series, gets better with each read
- Welcome to the Bayou by Victor Gischler (graphic novel) - I love what Gischler does here when given the keys to the Punisher castle.